This past Saturday, two workers were killed and four were injured when a steam generator exploded at a garment factory in Phnom Penh, Cambodia – less than three weeks after a similar accident killed one and injured seven at another factory in the region.
The explosion occurred in a facility belonging to an unnamed clothing manufacturer, after a security guard added more wood to the generator’s fire. The blast killed the guard and one other employee instantly.
Many are blaming a negligent generator operator, who left the boiler unattended, and fled the scene thereafter. However, it was reported that factory management had not registered the generator with the government agency that performs routine checks on all factory equipment. It’s also unclear whether the operator was properly trained, or if the factory even had a license to operate.
In last month’s incident, a wood-fired steam generator at a factory that produces jeans for Levi’s launched about 100 meters into the air before crashing down on a group of workers, killing one instantly and injuring seven others. This too, was caused by a generator operator who allowed the machine to overheat without releasing pressure through a valve.
Both factories are compensating the deceased employees’ relatives with sums between $3,000 and $12,000 USD.
You can read more about it at The Cambodia Daily.